LOCAL INGREDIENTS INSPIRE OUR RECIPES
Food of this region comes from anything we can hunt, catch or grow. Our surrounding swamps and bayous provide us alligators, frogs, freshwater crabs, crawfish, catfish and a wide variety of other animals. Marshlands provide game birds such as ducks and geese on their migratory routes from Canada to South America. Our region’s brackish waters and estuaries are created when the Gulf of Mexico’s saltwater mixes with our freshwater providing abundant seafood and inspiring recipes containing oysters, shrimp, and saltwater crabs. Fertile soil sustains gardens and farms to yield bountiful harvests of sugarcane, Creole tomatoes, sweet potatoes, okra and eggplant along with other fruits and veggies as found at the German Coast Farmer’s Market.
CAJUN MEETS CREOLE IN THE RIVER PARISHES
As you travel downriver from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, the food transitions from country, home-style cooking to a more refined version influenced by Native American, Spanish, German, English, African and Italian cultures. Cajun food is based on country French style cooking that evolved from indigenous ingredients sourced from the land. Creole cuisine is considered a sophisticated cousin of Cajun cuisine, utilizing refined European cooking techniques. Cajun/Creole recipes rely heavily on fresh herbs and spices to give its food a unique flair. Dishes typically begin with the “trinity” – onions, celery and bell pepper. From there, recipes build savory richness and a distinctive piquant flavor profile. Although the two styles are similar, subtle differences can be tasted in some of the sauces that are the essence of signature dishes such as jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee, and remoulade.
- B&C Seafood, 2155 Hwy 18, Vacherie, LA 70090, 225-265-8356, Directions
- Bec’s on the Lake, 105 Gary Rd, Laplace, LA 70068, 985-224-8172, Directions
- Fatty’s, 186 Museum St, Garyville, LA 70051, 985-535-5555, Directions
- Frenier Landing, 113 Dottie Ln, Laplace, LA 70068, 985-224-2178, Directions
- Hymel’s Seafood, 8740 LA-44, Convent, LA 70723, 225-562-9910, Directions
- Nobile’s, 2082 W Main St, Lutcher, LA 70071, 225-869-8900, Directions
- Pam & Dale’s Seafood, 14620 River Rd, Destrehan, LA 70047, 985-764-3112, Directions
- The Seafood Pot, 14386 River Rd, New Sarpy, LA 70078, 985-725-0053, Directions
- Belle Terre Country Club, 111 Fairway Dr, Laplace, LA 70068, 985-652-5000, Directions
- Bonnie’s, 2827 Hwy 20, Vacherie, LA 70090, 225-624-0402, Directions
- The Creole House, 509 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130, 504-323-2109
- Jenny’s Overstuffed Po-boys, 114 N Airline Ave, Gramercy, LA 70052, 225-869-0899, Directions
- Oak Alley Restaurant, 3645 LA-18, Vacherie, LA 70090, (225) 265-2151, Directions
- Sandwich World, 10800 LA-3125, Gramercy, LA 70052, 225-869-3894, Directions
- Spuddy’s Cajun Food, 2644 LA-20, Vacherie, LA 70090, 225-265-4013, Directions
- St. Rose Tavern, 14466 River Rd, New Sarpy, LA 70078, 504-469-8864, Directions
- Truck Farm Tavern, 11760 River Rd, St Rose, LA 70087, 504- 699-0099, Directions
- Wayne Jacob’s Smokehouse, 769 W 5th St, Laplace, LA 70068, 985-652-9990, Directions
- Zydeco’s, 7010 LA-23, Belle Chasse, LA 70037, 504-393-0510, Directions
- Latil’s Landing, 40136 LA-942, Darrow, LA 70725, 225-473-9380, Directions
- Ormond Plantation, 13786 River Rd, Destrehan, LA 70047, 985-764-8544, Directions
- The Carriage House Resturant, 40136 LA-942, Darrow, LA 70725, 225-473-9380, Directions
- Cafe’ Perique, 235 E Main St, Gramercy, LA 70052, 225-869-1774, Directions
- Donut Hole, 421 W Airline Hwy, Laplace, LA 70068, 985-651-4001, Directions
- Todd’s Cream Shack, 302 Apple Street, Norco, LA 70079, Directions
Other Local Eateries:
- Buddy’s Frostop, 3001 Ormond Blvd Ste. N, Destrehan, LA 70047, 985-725-1116, Directions
- LaPlace Frostop, 411 E Airline Hwy, LaPlace, LA 70068, 985-6526361, Directions
- Mabile’s Restaurant, 1124 B West Airline Hwy, LaPlace, LA 70068, 985-651-2893, Directions
- Taste of Tokyo, 1972 Ormond Blvd Ste. E, Destrehan, LA 70047, 985-764-1818, Directions
Discover Exciting Ways to Explore
Make planning your next vacation to New Orleans Plantation Country easy. Use one of our trip itineraries to get started.
Explore the 10 historic estates in the River Parishes of Louisiana and discover the stories rooted in their past.
Create memories learning the folklore of our swamps and viewing gators in their natural habitat.
Andouille was created here, so get out and try the local smokehouses that each have their own version of the "best".
The region out here is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts to explore and find adventure.
Famous for catfish, Lac Des Allemands is a haven for outdoor sportsmen.
Enjoyed around the world, Perique can only be grown and processed out here.
Cajun and Creole cuisine are as necessary to our culture as the people who make it.
Tour buses, shuttles and local airports are all transportation options for the River Parishes.
New Orleans Plantation Country offers a wide range of lodging options from rustic and quaint to upscale and luxurious.